A Step Towards Empowering Artists Scholarship
Theme: Taking Refuge
For a second year in a row, ASTEP and SPACE on Ryder Farm are thrilled to award a one 5-day 4-night residency for actors, playwrights, poets, musicians, songwriters, composers, and visual artists. Our goal is to support socially conscious artistic endeavors, which include creation processes, residencies, exploration or research, exhibits, and performances. The residency will provide each artist with room, board, working space, and artistic support from Ryder Farm faculty for the 5-day 4-night stay. Applicants will be required to arrange and pay for their transportation to and from the farm.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and have either participated as a student or teacher in one of ASTEP’s programs.
- The residency will take place during the month of August 2013.
- The residency is available for actors, playwrights, poets, musicians, songwriters, composers, and visual artists.
- All artists must bring their own equipment and materials.
- The project proposed by the applicant must directly relate to the scholarship theme: Taking Refuge
Applicants must submit a cover page, project summary, and project logistics
- Cover page: must include a project title, applicant name, email address, phone number, and the individual’s prior experience with ASTEP.
- Project Summary: The project summary must be between 250-400 words. Please explain why you are pursuing this project, how the theme is connected, and the impact you hope the project will have on you as an artist and/or your community. Project summaries that exceed the recommended length will not be reviewed.
- Project Logistics: Please specify a timeline for your project from inception to completion and your budget. If you already have or plan to seek funding from outside sources, please list those sources as well.
- Three members of the ASTEP community have been randomly selected to review eligible applications. Panelists are chosen from our database and include student alum, Volunteer Teaching alum, and a current ASTEP board member. ASTEP staff will not serve on the panel, and all panel members will remain anonymous.
- Panel members may contact applicants through ASTEP staff if they have any comments and questions about the application. The panel will score the application, including any modifications, according to the following guidelines:
Clarity – how clearly the idea is presented and how it connects to the theme.
Practicality – how feasible is the project as a whole based on the budget and timeline presented.
Impact – the potential for impact on the artist and the community.
Applications will be accepted from 7:00 a.m. on March 29, 2013 until midnight on April 2, 2013. Email applications to Mauricio Salgado at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applicants will receive a response by May 1, 2013, including the scholarship recipient. The scholarship recipient will also be announced on the ASTEP website.
- The scholarship recipient must confirm their residency dates by May 15, 2013.
- The scholarship recipient will also be required to present 4 blog posts about their creative process for the ASTEP website. Blog posts need to include pictures or video.
For questions, please contact Mauricio Salgado, Director of Domestic Programs, at email@example.com