ASTEP partners with the Boys and Girls Club of Phillips County, Arkansas to bring arts programming to youth in the Delta region affected by socio economic inequalities, systemic poverty, and underemployment. A team of Teaching Artists visit this program over in rolling placements over the course of 5 weeks to bring arts programming to young people ages 5-14 in the Mississippi Delta region. ASTEP programming at this site focuses on coping skills as well as celebrating students’ voices and artistic choices through dance, storytelling, musical theatre, and visual arts classes.
Our goals at this site are to:
- Meet students where they are, celebrate and recognize their strengths, and support their exploration of both voice and choice through the arts.
- Develop students’ self management skills
- Develop students’ social skills
- Develop students’ positive identities and confidence
- Develop students’ sense of contribution and belonging within their community