Cultivate Future Leaders Through the Arts!
Promote the arts for social change on campus while developing leadership skills and connections with a network of professional artists
Since 2003, ASTEP has been cultivating a community of artists who make using the arts a tool to empower youth a primary part of their lives and practice. We would like to invite your school to be a part of this growing community and see first hand the transforming power of the arts.
Through a series of one, two, or three-day workshops, ASTEP will engage students at your school in an exploration of using the creative arts as a tool to support an individual or community:
- What is Poverty? A discussion focusing on the many perceptions of poverty, how we relate to them, and the role of art in empowering the impoverished.
- The Artist as Citizen A discussion on the role of the artist in the community and how to be active members
- Standing at the Intersection of Culture, Community, and Creativity An exploration of how art is used for cross cultural encounter.
- Creative Pedagogy in Community A focus on best practices and approaches to teaching the arts in a wide spectrum of community settings. Participants will engage in ensemble building techniques, diversity scenarios, activities for setting an environment, and explore.
- Devising with ASTEP – Participants will create pieces around a common theme, drawing from their own personal experiences and ideas with a few inspiring prompts and techniques for devising.
- One-Day Workshop – ASTEP will explore the Artist as Citizen, present our methodology and volunteer opportunities, followed by a Q&A session | $550*
- Two-Day Workshop – ASTEP will provide two separate workshops, present our methodology and volunteer opportunities, followed by a Q&A session. Interviews for summer volunteer placements can be scheduled | $1100*
- Three-Day Workshop – ASTEP will provide four or more workshops designed specifically to your curricular needs, present our methodology and volunteer opportunities, followed by one-on-one meetings. In addition, interviews for summer volunteer placements and an ASTEP presentation to the larger student body | $1650*
* Fees do not include the cost of travel. Scholarships are available for qualifying schools
“The Devising with ASTEP workshop was the highlight of my week at KCACTF. Thank you so much for showing me what a strong future exists for artists hoping to help humanity. I know, with whatever I pursue in life, I want to help people. If I am able to help people through something I enjoy, well, there isn’t a better combination!”
– Maria Arvanitakis, Kansas State University