DIRECTOR OF PROGRAMS JOB OPENING – APPLY TODAY!
As we respond to the events of 2020, including the effects of two deadly viruses, COVID-19 and the ongoing impact of systemic racism, ASTEP is going beyond listening into action. We are committed as never before to engaging professional teaching artists with skills and experiences relevant to the communities we serve. We are hiring a new Director of Programs to lead these efforts in designing and staffing ASTEP’s Programs. The ideal candidate is flexible, creative, and collaborative. They care deeply about the arts and believe in its power to develop important life skills, awaken children’s imaginations, and help them become active participants in their own lives and in the life of their communities.
ASTEP values creating community among our staff members, and are invested in everyone as individuals. We believe in collaboration and communication. We work as a team, and genuinely care about setting everyone up for success. We deeply believe in the potential of the youth we work with, and are genuinely excited about the opportunities we create with them. We are committed to the health of our employees, and are working remotely until it is deemed safe to return to a busy office environment in midtown Manhattan. ASTEP provides support for remote working situations as needed.
ASTEP’S COMMITMENT TO ANTIRACISM AND ANTI-OPPRESSION
ASTEP began its anti-racism journey long before the summer of 2020 and expects to continue it long after. We engage in both formal (training, consultancies) and informal practices (book clubs, shared leadership models) to continue to interrogate supremacist behavior in ourselves and our organization. We are committed to seeking staff members and teaching artists that are representative of the communities we serve, therefore cultivating a sense of belonging across diverse populations is crucial to our success.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the overall and day-to-day operations of ASTEP programs to ensure smooth functioning of each program, domestic and international
- Recruit, hire, and on-board a diverse roster of teaching artists that reflect the diversity and breadth of the communities we serve
- Design and lead trainings for teaching artists which are based on the most current and inclusive pedagogical practices, including anti-racist pedagogy, trauma-informed and culturally responsive teaching, Universal Design for Learning, and more
- Develop and manage systems for conducting ongoing monitoring and evaluation of programs
- Design, implement and cultivate ASTEP’s relationships with partner organizations
- Develop annual program budget and maintain program expenditures within budgeted parameters
- Design and maintain a lesson plan database and program structures
- Provide quarterly program updates to the Board of Directors
- Create and share quarterly reports on Program successes and metrics
- Monitor child protection policies for programs
- Support ASTEP fundraising events
- Design and maintain a materials and supplies inventory
- Bachelor’s degree or demonstration of comparable expertise
- Minimum five years experience in relevant fields
- Passion and skill for developing interpersonal relationships, and an ability to build trust and rapport across diverse populations
- A proven commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion implementation and a fluency with anti-racism and anti-oppression frameworks
- Experience leading teams and/or managing contractors
- Demonstrate ability to successfully maintain and utilize database systems
- A proactive and highly motivated individual who demonstrates the initiative to grow our programs
- Excellent communications skills, written and oral
- An understanding of and commitment to ASTEP’s mission, stated above, and the diverse populations we serve, which include youth impacted by the justice system, gun violence, homelessness, immigration system, systemic poverty, and HIV/AIDS
- A high cultural competency relevant to the specific populations ASTEP serves
February 12, 2021
IDEAL START DATE
March 15, 2021